Called in 2006
Education and Training
Direct Access Accreditation
ICSL (BVC and LLM Distinction); University of Kent (LLB 1st Class); Universite Montesquieu Bordeaux IV (Licence en Droit);
Harmsworth Scholar of Middle Temple
Sophie practises predominantly on the South Eastern Circuit, appearing regularly across London, Kent (her home county) and Essex.
Sophie is happy to travel further afield on request for advocacy, conferences and to deliver seminars.
Sophie is a specialist family barrister, covering all areas of family law encompassing both children work and financial remedies work.
Public Law and Care Proceedings
Sophie has experience acting for local authorities and parents in the following areas:
· Non-accidental injuries;
· Sexual abuse;
· Substance misuse;
· Domestic violence; and
· International placements.
Her experience, and commitment to representing both local authorities and parents places her in an excellent position to anticipate arguments and accordingly achieve the best possible result for her client. She has particular experience dealing with vulnerable young mothers and is known for her approachable yet robust manner.
Sophie acts and advises in all aspects of financial remedies including:
- Proceedings pursuant the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973
- Disputes between cohabitants concerning financial provision of children (Schedule 1, Children Act 1989)
- Disputes between cohabitants concerning property (Trusts of Land and Appointments of Trustees Act 1995);
- Applications under the Inheritance Act (Provision for Family and Dependants Act 1975);
- Enforcement of orders including foreign financial remedy orders
Sophie has previously given accredited seminars in this area and is happy to provide tailored seminars on request.
Private Law (Children) and Domestic Violence
In private law proceedings, Sophie has experience across all areas with a particular interest in intractable dispute cases with allegations of parental alienation and emotional and psychological abuse.
Her practice covers:
- Child Arrangement Orders, including Fact Finding hearings
- Internal and External Relocation
- Prohibited Steps Orders
- Specific Issue Orders
Sophie also accepts instructions under the Family Law Act 1996 and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.
Memberships and Affiliations
Sophie is qualified to accept instructions under the Direct Public Access to Barristers Scheme.